Saturday, April 26, 2008

Linda, Cindy and I went for a hike this afternoon up and around Johnny Cake Mountain.

When we were at the top, we saw a huge cloud of smoke to the north of us. Cindy called 911 and they told her that this fire had already been reported. We assumed the fire was quite far east of our place. But, I had the shock of my life when I drove home from Linda's house!! The fire trucks were at MY house. Some man was motioning me to turn my car around as I got closer to the farm. I am sure I sounded hysterical trying to tell him: "That is my house!!" It turned out to be a huge fire in the woods between our house and the bog. Six fire departments responded to this call. One, from Harwinton, said they were just there to watch our house. The firefighters said the fire was moving west at about five feet per minute. Peter first smelled smoke and then saw the flames.........he was the one who called 911.



The person on the top of the cooler was posted there to watch the flames to see if they were going to get close enough to need to protect the house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The firemen and fire women were the heroes of the day. I still can't believe that they got that massive woods fire under control.

Anonymous said...

I agree. What would we do without these people?!?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on the story....yikes! Kudos to Peter and Tim for helping the firepeople (that's my new word)...and hooray for everything and everyone being safe. *hug*